24 September, 2008

Mama's little helper

I have to admit something.  I have a love affair on the side.  And, actually, Mo is quite aware of it and supports it wholeheartedly.  I love my crockpot.  Well, actually I now have two of them.  Three, if you count the little dipper, which I've actually never used, but I've heard it's great for fondue.  I have to let people know about my little obsession because I happen to think that everyone should be converted.  I am on a mission.  I am not the only one.  In the last month or so I discovered A Year of Crockpotting.  This is a blog by a woman whom has committed to one year of using her crockpot everyday.  I think I have only made a couple recipes and there are loads I want to try (the chicken and rice one today looks pretty tasty), but I have to check it everyday just to see what she is up to.  I think our favorite recipe around here lately is making steel cut oatmeal overnight by steaming it in the crockpot.  You wake up to warm, yummy oatmeal without having to take the time to cook it in the morning.  The girls will even eat it.  We call it porridge around here,  so that helps with the persuasion.   

2 comments:

Stephanie ODea said...

wow, thank you for such a nice write-up! I'm having a lot of fun with this project, and am learning so awful much.

xox
steph

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you love the crock pot oatmeal!

And I'm a fan of crockpot lady, too.

Right now, even as I type, a brown rice concoction is burbling in the crock (but it isn't crockpot lady's recipe, so we shall wait and see how it turns out).